Sunday, January 30, 2011

Extra Credit for Semester

Volunteering at Henry Street Nursing home was one of the best experiences for me. But at the same time it was extremely heartbreaking. It's an eye opener to see people so broken, it's hard dirty work, but a rewarding experience.You learn in only a short time being their you can't save them all but for a brief moment you can put a smile on their face.It can be some real sepressing stuff , you cant talk to t about certain stuff. You're preaty much trained before you start into what you can ask and what you cant.
I found volunteering I did alot of talking , reading , and handing things to the residents their. I think this was because many residents in nursing homes have no one to talk to so the love to talk and just have someone listen.But what I loved about these older people , and I think older people in general is they love to hear my stories to, they listen so well. Maybe in a way they live a little bit of their youth again through me.

Volunteering their I wasnt able to do anything dirty or anything that would put residents in danger.I would see some of these people being wheeled around in wheelchair's and just sit and wonder how they must of felt. I would see the staff have to touch blood, urine, feces or anything that looks dirty.It was the serious side of the situation.It would be almost surreal at one moment to see that then in the next to be sitting with them play cards or bingo .

No comments:

Post a Comment