Saturday, December 11, 2010

HW 22 - Illness & Dying Book Part 1

My Brother by Jamaica Kincaid, Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux; First Paperback Edition edition (November 9, 1998)

Jamaica Kincaid opens the story she by describing her first visiting Devon in the Gweneth O’Reilly ward of the Holberton Hospital, where he was dying of AIDS; she then bact tracks to the his birth.Devon is said to be the only one of Kincaid’s four siblings not born in a hospital.The arrival of the new child disrupts the family life, and the other children are sent to sleep at neighbor's houses.

"WHEN I SAW MY BROTHER again after a long while, he was lying in a bed in the Holberton Hospital, in the Gweneth O'Reilly ward, and he was said to be dying of AIDS." p.g. 1

"A look of agony would come into his eyes." p.g. 16

"I'am so vulnerable to my family's needs and influence tat from time to time I remove myself from them" p.g. 20

Im really enjoing how the memoir is fellowing Kincaid's emotional odessy as she tries to deal with her brother's battle with AIDS, its real gripping hard stuff .It plays on so many fears. The lost of a love one, denial, dying of a deadly diese and more. Her rambling structure actually pulls me in,I find her thoughts on family, death, community, and identity to be insightful. Onlt thing that so far has got me is Kincaid's long ans at times drawn out reflections, Kincaid opens a discussion on some relevant topics straight from the beggining.

No comments:

Post a Comment